Being a successful supervisor can be a challenge. There are a lot of responsibilities. This academy is designed to help you develop and refine the skills you need to manage people more effectively—and be ready for unexpected change. We will explore topics critical to developing effective management skills such as performance management, motivation, team development, interpersonal and communication skills and time management skills—everything you need to manage people effectively.
To accommodate the varied schedules of all employees at the City of Corpus Christi, The Learning Institute offers three Supervision Academy’s each year with a blend of face-to-face instruction and online courses.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE: The Supervision Academy is exclusively for City of Corpus Christi employees.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Apply for admission by registering to attend the four-hour Supervisor Boot Camp.
- After completing the Boot Camp you receive access to the online training modules.
- Complete the training modules within 8 weeks.
- After completing all the courses you will graduate from the Supervision Academy and receive your certificate from the Director of Human Resources at the employee recognition event.
ABOUT THE SUPERVISOR BOOT CAMP
This intensive four-hour workshop provides you with the essential skills to effectively lead others in the workplace. You will leave with proven tools that will help you clearly define your role as a leader and master the fundamental skills that are essential to your success. Participation in this course is required for admission to the Supervisor Academy.
SUPERVISOR BOOTCAMP TOPICS AND AGENDA:
- Academy Workbook
- Recruiting and Employee On-Boarding, Supervisor Role, Training & Performance Appraisal Process
- Drug and Alcohol Policy
- ADA, FMLA, Limited Duty
- EAP and Progressive Discipline
ABOUT THE SUPERVISOR ACADEMY ONLINE COURSES
You will have 8 weeks to complete the online courses listed below. IMPORTANT: You will need access to our online training platform called ‘OpenSesame’. If you do not have this access, please request it here: http://www.learningcc.org/training
STEP 1: Log into the online course platform via your assigned username and password.
STEP 2: Complete the assigned online courses as per the topics listed below.
STEP 3: Once you finish all the courses, please complete the following form on this website to let us know when you have finished all the coursework so that we can begin verifying your completion and credentialize your participation: http://www.learningcc.org/supervisoracademydocs
STEP 4: To receive your certificate of graduation, attend the next Employee of the Quarter Recognition Event to receive your certification of graduation from the City Manager. RSVP here: http://learningcc.org/recognition
SUPERVISOR ACADEMY COURSE OUTLINE:
- Supervisor Boot Camp (Classroom – 4 hour course)
- Basic Principles of Supervision (Online)
- Employee Communications (Online)
- Effective Hiring (Online)
- Workplace Diversity (Online)
- Giving and Receiving Feedback (Online)
- Developing Employees (Online)
- Workplace Safety (Online)
- Prioritization and Time Management (Online)
- Performance Management (Online)
- Employee Recognition (Online)
- Team-building (Online)
- FEMA – ICS-100: Introduction to Incident Command System (Online)
- FEMA – ICS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents (Online)
QUESTIONS: If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask Liza Wisner, firstname.lastname@example.org 361.826.3336